The early German immigrants settled in Germantown, Whitemarsh and Skippack in the years between 1710 to 1712. Among them were 35 members of the Reformed faith. The full immigration into the Perkiomen Valley did not begin until the second decade of the eighteenth century. By 1727 there were enough Reformed members in the Goshenhoppen area to hold a communion service.
– Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (KJV)
In 1856, Reverend Peter S. Fisher was called to Tohickon Reformed Church (Indian Creek, Tohickon and Charlestown-Trumbauersville). He organized congregations in Sellersville, Bridgetown and Leidy’s. The Reformed “Congregation” in Sellersville met in an old schoolhouse on Walnut Street together with a Lutheran and Mennonite Congregation.
Shortly after the Civil War (1868), Three acres of land were purchased from William Schlichter by the Lutheran and Reformed “Congregations”. Two acres were divided into cemetery lots and offered for sale, the proceeds directed towards erection of a Union Church (where St. Michael’s Lutheran Church now stands).
On May 21, 1870, permission was granted by Goshenhoppen Classes to organize a Reformed Congregation in Sellersville. On January 8, 1871, officers were elected and a congregation was declared “regularly established.” (This is our date of origin).
The aftermath of the Civil War brought on a serious economic depression throughout the country and it wasn’t until well into the 1890s (this period of economic recovery is often referred to as the “Gay Nineties”) when this fledgling Reformed Congregation had saved enough funds to build their own church.
On July 23, 1900, St. Michael’s Lutheran and Reformed congregations voted to separate all joint property. On November 1st that same year, the Reformed congregation of St. Michael’s sold their half interest to the Lutheran congregation for $2,450.00.
By April 8, 1901, Easter Monday, ground was broken on a lot on Green and Penn Streets donated by William Schlichter. On July 21, the cornerstone was laid for a new church.
On May 18, 1902, the new church building was dedicated to the “Service of the Triune God” and named St. Paul’s Reformed Church. The total cost was $20,000.00 (considered to be the most expensive church in Bucks County at the time!).